Mount Olivet began on Sunday afternoon, January 11, 1920, when 14 children and 19 adults gathered at the Iverson homestead, 5516 Lyndale Avenue South, for Sunday school and worship. Two months later, on March 21, 1920, the congregation officially organized as Mount Olivet Lutheran Church with 43 charter members, 20 adults and 23 children. Soon the congregation moved to a building that was at one time the post office of Richfield.
The first successful call of a full time pastor was in the spring of 1922, Pastor G. P. Williams.
The first worship in Mount Olivet's first newly constructed church was conducted on March 4, 1923.
- Second Senior Pastor, Reverend Julius Lorimer, Palm Sunday 1926
- Third Senior Pastor, Reverend Clarence T. Nelson, June 23, 1929
- Mount Olivet/Tabor Lutheran Church merger, November 2, 1930
- Fourth Senior Pastor, Reverend Edgar Carlson, January 9, 1933
- Fifth Senior Pastor, Reverend Reuben Youngdahl, January 1, 1938; 331 members; when he died in 1968, there were 10,000 members
- Second new church dedicated October 1, 1939, on the northwest corner of 50th Street and James Avenue
- Third new church dedicated in 1949, on the present site
- Sixth Senior Pastor, Reverend Paul Noren, 1968, along with Associate Pastor, Reverend Paul M. Youngdahl
- Seventh Senior Pastor, Reverend Paul M. Youngdahl, 1974
- Mount Olivet Church – West Campus, August 5, 2001
- West Campus Church Building dedicated May 15, 2005
- Reverend Craig E. Johnson, 2011-current, interim Senior Pastor
The 13,000 members of Mount Olivet live in 400+ neighborhoods, some living in excess of 25 miles from the church.
The Church seating capacity is: Main Sanctuary - 1,040; Serley Chapel 335; Balcony, 175; Youngdahl Chapel, 330; Choir Loft, 150; Narthex, 125; Fellowship Hall, 620; Total Seating - 2,775.
Additionally, the former Mount Olivet Rolling Acres “Hill House” was converted to an Administration and Education Building. Some Mount Olivet members living in the western suburbs have found this new location at Mount Olivet Rolling Acres, a refreshing option for Sunday morning worship. This has created an ideal opportunity for the present members in that area to invite unchurched neighbors into this community of faith. The mission of this newer ministry is focused on inviting those who do not have a church home, especially those who have not yet responded to God’s love in Jesus Christ, to experience Mount Olivet’s vital spiritual tradition offered in a new place and with a wonderful new gathering of God’s people.